Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Jane Austen Book Club On The Periphery

I was reading some fiction on the computer while one of my relatives, who was watching TV, got hooked on The Jane Austen Book Club, which came on about an hour ago. I'm really not watching, but through some strange manner (osmosis?) I've gathered that the movie's about the members of a book club that's going through all of Jane Austen's novels. One of the club members is a geek who only reads science-fiction, particularly Ursula Le Guin--and the only guy in the group--who joined because he's attracted to one of the other members.

It's the first time I've heard of this movie though, and the concept of a book club that reads only the books of one author is interesting. It's based on a book by Karen Joy Fowler, who writes science fiction and fantasy too, by the way, in addition to this story which is very much based in the "real" world. ;)

I couldn't help myself and burst out laughing in the scene that just ended, when all the lady members were reading Pride And Prejudice with great interest, and the geek was shown sleeping halfway through it.

Back to the fiction on the computer now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home